Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm beautiful dammit

favorite line from a song

“I’m Beautiful”

Bette Midler

Ain’t this my world - I know I can do it - People always ask me - Miss M, how did you get so far (on so little)? - Well, I woke up one morning, flossed my teeth and decided- “Damn, I’m fierce!” (You look good!) - You can be just like me (a goddess!!)

Don’t just pussy foot around and sit on your assets - Unleash your ferocity upon unsuspecting world - Rise up and repeat after me: “I’m beautiful, dammit!!!”

“Ain’t this our sun, ain’t this our moon, ain’t this our world, to be who we choose!!!

I’m not too short, I’m not too tall, I’m not too big, I’m not too small, I’m not too white, I’m not too black, I’m not too this, I’m not too that!! I’m Beautiful Dammit!!!



This song helps me realize that it’s OK if we are all different. Being big, small, white, black, short or tall just makes us unique. I struggle with feeling self-conscience because of my size. I’m a large woman, in a world, especially at college, filled with young skinny girls.


When I started college, in my 40's, I worried I couldn’t fit in the desks when I got there (I do), but I agonized over it for days before classes started.

Bette Midler’s song helps me feel like it’s ok to stand up and say “I’m beautiful”, even if some others only see my size and not my goodness. (or my goddess-ness). And some days, I need all the help I can get!

It’s not easy to find clothes that fit and look good, but it can be done. Even when girls showing off their tummies and perky boobs surround me, I try to accept myself and work on my attitude. Songs like this help me when my self–esteem slips.


I used to be thin a long time ago. My outside have changed dramatically but on the inside I am still “me”. Having been on both sides of thin and big has helped me be more open to everyone. I try to look at people as themselves, not just as "eye candy", but the whole person. We are surrounded by wonderful people...we just forget to look in them not just at them.


No comments:

Post a Comment